This is a ridiculously easy recipe to make. Once you’ve made it a time or two, it can easily be whipped into the oven in 10 minutes or less. This is a classic mac & cheese with a grown-up spicy kick to it. Back off or eliminate onion or spice items in my twist if you like it super basic.
My mother loves a good macaroni and cheese and since we are driving down there for a whirlwind visit overnight, I figured the least I could do is make a comforting meal since my hounds will be running a muck on her white tile flooring.
1 pound of macaroni (4 cups dry)
2 cups milk or cream
12 oz cheddar shredded
1 pkg cream cheese
1 cup swiss or other good melting cheese (about 5 oz)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (Marash are my favorite!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (Tellicherry are my fav)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 onion chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup bread crumbs (panko is a quick time saver!)
Preheat oven to 350. While it is heating oven, mix milk, eggs, spices, cheeses and boil macaroni. Assemble the goods with panko topping. It is that quick and easy!
1. Boil macaroni in salted water per package directions
2. Meanwhile in a blender/food processor, combine eggs, milk, cheese and spice. Then throw in minced onion for a quick whiz (5 seconds or less) or mix it in by hand.
3. Combine cooked macaroni and milk mixture in a buttered 3 quart baking dish
4. Melt butter rest of butter and add bread crumbs. Coat crumbs w/ butter and spread over the top of the noodles
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350. Cool about 5 minutes before indulging.